Re: AM_LIBS / AM_LDADD

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_LIBS / AM_LDADD
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:17:55 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:09:21PM CET:
> On 11/6/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Can you add to that also AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS?
> >
> > It's been mentioned before: Automake currently does not use dlltool.
[...]
> The benefit of having it be part of Automake is that then I don't have
> to specify it on each line.  The more stuff that is internal to
> automake that I can use, the easier maintaining an automake file is.

What you're really asking for here is support for some automatically
generated rules that use dlltool, right?  How should such a rule look
like, what should it do portably(!), and why would a portable project
ever need such a rule when it could just use Libtool?

If you have to write your own (unportable) rules anyway, then really
there is nothing else that I see that could be done for you.

Or do you just want
  AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS = @AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS@

put in every Makefile.in?  You can already have that, just use AC_SUBST
in configure.ac.

> Now, you state that Automake currently doesn't use dlltool.  I am
> guessing you mean that dlltool support and usage is provided via
> libtool, correct?  Should this request go to libtool, instead?  Would
> the libtool project be able to add the global options variable?

No.  While libtool happens to set ${DLLTOOL}, it doesn't really use it
either.  I think it used to at some point in the past.

I'm starting to be a bit puzzled.  I simply don't know what you want.