Installing data in heirarchical fashion

From: David Bruce
Subject: Installing data in heirarchical fashion
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:03:53 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to rewrite my Makefile.am's to make better use of Automake's
built-in variables.  I'm a little stuck on how to get my program's (tuxmath)
data files installed in a heirarchical tree.  My current scheme puts the data
under /usr/local/share/tuxmath, with deeper directories such
as /usr/local/share/tuxmath/images,
/usr/local/share/tuxmath/images/backgrounds,
and so forth.

If I just use:

dist_pkgdata_DATA = bkgd1.jpg bkgd2.jpg bkgd3.jpg

in my Makefile.am for the backgrounds subdirectory, the files just wind up in
$(pkgdata) itself, i.e. /usr/local/share/tuxmath.

Is there a proper, automated, "Automake Way" to get the whole data tree
installed in the desired location?

Thanks for any help,
--
David Bruce