Re: NFS--mounted builddirs and detecting clock skew

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: NFS--mounted builddirs and detecting clock skew
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:04:14 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Harlan Stenn wrote:

A variety of problems can crop up if one is "doing things" in an
NFS-mounted filesystem and there is clock skew between the local machine
(NFS client box) and the machine that hosts the  actual filesystem (NFS
server box).

I suggest that you check out some cool software called xntp which can help correct your clock skew problems.

If I am running a configure script and there is a clock skew problem, I
would want to know this ASAP beacuse if the clock skew is not
deliberate, I want to fix it Right Away.

Which particular clock skew do you want to detect?

  * Clock skew to source directory
  * Clock skew to build directory
  * Clock skew to header files outside the source directory
  * Clock skew to libraries outside the build directory
  * Clock skew to temporary file directory (gasp!)
  * Clock skew due to filesystem with 1 second time resolution
  * Clock skew during build due to wandering clock
  * Clock skew to parallel build machine

All of these problems are possible. Some issues are seen by GNU make and others are not. When my clocks are a bit off I have noticed that GNU make sometimes intermittently complains due to the "wandering clock" problem. If I am not imagining things, I have seen configure complain about clock problems before so perhaps there is already a sanity check in place.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn