Re: NFS--mounted builddirs and detecting clock skew

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: NFS--mounted builddirs and detecting clock skew
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:43:15 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Harlan Stenn wrote:

All of these problems are possible.  Some issues are seen by GNU make
and others are not.

I *think* I'd be happy with 'clock skew in the build directory'.

 You mean like

  CPU -- NFS (Sources + Objects)

or

       NFS1 (Sources)
     /
  CPU
     \
       NFS2 (Built Objects)

or

       Local Disk (Sources)
     /
  CPU
     \
       NFS2 (Built Objects)

or

       NFS1 (Sources)
     /
  CPU
     \
       Local Disk (Built Objects)

I use the last one quite often these days but sometimes I use the first.

When my clocks are a bit off I have noticed that
GNU make sometimes intermittently complains due to the "wandering
clock" problem.

I don't see 'wander' (case insensitive) in either the gmake 3.81 or
3.79.1 source trees.

What I mean is that the condition is borderline detectable so sometimes it is detected and other times not.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn