RE: how to check 64bit or 32 bit machine?

From: susan xie
Subject: RE: how to check 64bit or 32 bit machine?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:10:27 -0500

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:47:29 -0500
> Subject: how to check 64bit or 32 bit machine?
>

> Hi,
>
> I want to use a third-party library in my Makefile.am. The static third party
> library is put in a directory with 2 sub-directories: 'linux' and 'linux64'.
> On 64bit machine, my code needs to link with the static library in 'linux64'
> directory. While on 32 bit machine, it needs to link with the static library
> in 'linux' directory.  Do you know how to check 64bit machine or 32 bit
> machine to finish this task?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ting

> You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m
> Initiative now.
> http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM

Currently I have 2 ways to finish this. If you happen to know the details,
please let me know. Thanks very much.

1. AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(void*) ,  but how to catch the result of this checking
MACRO,  i.e., checking result of (sizeof(void*)  =4) : yes or no ? I thought of
 SIZEOF_VOIDP, but then how to use this variable ?

2.  AC_CANONICAL_BUILD ,   May you show me an example to use this Macro ?

Please let me know if you have other detailed method :)

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007