Re: What to check into repository?

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: What to check into repository?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:22:02 +0100

Hongliang Wang wrote:
Hello all,

My company decides to make part of our software source code open-sourced.
For this part, we will use automake & autoconf tools to generate the
installation package (.tar.gz).

However, the current problem is that we cannot decide what to check into our
own software repository. The .c and .h files will  definitely be needed to
check in, but what about the Makefile.am configure.ac, and even the executable
files like missing, compile, autogen.sh, aclocal.m4, autom4te.cache/ ?

Would anybody give me some suggestions?
Any "source" is usually stored in the repository, configure.ac, Makefile.am constitutes as source. Derived objects as part of a build are generally not.

The generated files, such as Makefile.in, configure, may or may not be. Most projects tend to at least keep configure, but other projects have a "bootstrap" script that generates these for you. When you do a "make dist", all necessary files are part of the tar.gz. Check that it works with "make distcheck" before you release.

It depends on the type of source configuration tool you're using as well. Personally, I include the "configure" and "Makefile.in" so that users checking the repository out (as guest) do not need to have the autoconf tools available.

Regards,
Jason.