Re: DLLTOOL without LIBTOOL

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: DLLTOOL without LIBTOOL
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:17:12 -0500

On 11/2/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello NightStrike, whoever you are,
>
> * NightStrike wrote on Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 05:29:01PM CET:
> > Currently, the macro AC_PROG_LIBTOOL will search for dlltool and
> > define $(DLLTOOL) appropriately.  If I only want dlltool itself and
> > not the rest of the libtool package, is there some sort of
> > AC_PROG_DLLTOOL macro available?
>
> FWIW, all AC_PROG_LIBTOOL does with DLLTOOL is
>    AC_CHECK_TOOL(DLLTOOL, dlltool, false)
>
> so you can just do that yourself.

I was fiddling with some other stuff, so the need arose to take this
advice.  What I found was that after a little digging through aclocal,
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL actually calls check_tool for dlltool, as, and
objdump, and unless you get all 3, it won't work.  This is the aclocal
code:

AC_PROVIDE_IFELSE([AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL],
[*-*-cygwin* | *-*-mingw* | *-*-pw32*)
  AC_CHECK_TOOL(DLLTOOL, dlltool, false)
  AC_CHECK_TOOL(AS, as, false)
  AC_CHECK_TOOL(OBJDUMP, objdump, false)
  ;;
  ])

I'm just posting this here in case anyone needs the extra information.