Re: aclocal recursion error

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: aclocal recursion error
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:41:28 +0100

Hello Skip,

* Skip Montanaro wrote on Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:27:53PM CET:

> When I execute the above script I get this output:
>
> /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: \
>       warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
> /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   \
>       run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
> /opt/local/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13:   \
>       or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html\
>         #Extending-aclocal

The above are warnings about some third party code; you need not worry
about it too much.  To eliminate the warning, change

  AC_DEFUN(AM_PATH_SMPEG, [...])
  AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_SMPEG], [...])

in smpeg.m4.

> /opt/local/bin/gm4:configure.ac:23: recursion limit of 1024 exceeded, \
>       use -L<N> to change it
> autom4te: /opt/local/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
> aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
>
> which I'm at a loss to decipher.

We need to see the configure.ac script up to line 23.  Most likely, on
line 23 there is a macro call.  If that macro is defined not by Autoconf
or Automake but by you or a macro file you use, then we need to see that
file as well.  (Recurse down that path.)  Then we may be able to tell
what's going wrong.