Re: Setup automake to build dynamic library (.so) linking several other

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Setup automake to build dynamic library (.so) linking several other libraries statically (.a archive)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:16:28 +0100

Hello Thibaud,

* tomoyo255 wrote on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:13:48PM CET:

>   In opposition to what I did for every pieces of the whole thing, I need
> the final library to be dynamic (a .so file), but with all former pieces
> inconditionnally statically linked inside it. In other words, I want to
> produce a single big shared object with everything inside (besides standard
> libraries however, but should be an issue I assume).

You want to use convenience archives for the pieces that end up as a
whole in the shared library.  "*.la" files come in several flavors:
shared (+static) libraries (lib_LTLIBRARIES in Automake lingo),
static only libraries (lib_LTLIBRARIES, with libfoo_la_LDFLAGS = -static),
convenience archives (noinst_LTLIBRARIES).

Both the Automake and the Libtool manual have more information:
<http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Libtool-Convenience-Libraries>
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Static-libraries>

Hope that helps.