Re: quiet mode for make check (silence passing tests, list failing tests

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: quiet mode for make check (silence passing tests, list failing tests)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:25:19 +0100

Hello Chris,

* Chris Pickett wrote on Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:56:29AM CET:

> (Please include me in any reply, I am not subscribed.)
>
> I have one test program for each module in my library.  Each writes to
> stdout and stderr.  Since I have many tests, this generates a lot of
> output when I run `make check'.  I would like to change `make check' so
> that it:
>
> 1) Causes only those tests that fail to print anything
> 2) Additionally lists the tests that fail at the end
>
> I can probably do this by writing a shell script wrapper that calls
> make, redirects stderr, and does some processing with awk.  I was
> wondering if some Automake wizard could hint as to how I might do it
> inside my Makefile.am.  I think it is something generally useful for
> Automake users.

Two answers: you could probably do it by letting each of your tests
source one or two shell scripts that do the pre/postprocessing.

But it's also possible inside Makefile.am.  In fact, there have been
patches floating around for parallel testsuites, which can hopefully be
integrated before 1.11, which deal smartly with verbose output (keeping
verbose log files of failed tests).

> I did look at the check target in the generated Makefile, but I couldn't
> see how to wrap the check target inside my Makefile.am.
>
> check-am: all-am
>         $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) $(check_PROGRAMS)
>         $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) check-TESTS
> check: check-am

You could override check-am, but that would be kind of ugly.