Re: Automake is still recursive

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake is still recursive
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:45:47 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
This is really embarrasing for my project.

No, it isn't.

It is from my POV since it indicates a distinct lack of perfection.

I am at wits end.  I am about to cry.

Can I get you a cookie to stop you from being about to cry?

Yes please!

Is there a way to avoid this dire situation?

You can probably hack automake/lib/am/subdirs.am to emit a different
$(RECURSIVE_TARGETS) rule; be sure to check that all instances matching
 grep recursive automake/automake.in automake/lib/am/*.am

The 'all' rule looks like this due to the documented behavior of BUILT_SOURCES:

all: $(BUILT_SOURCES)
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) all-am

Investigation shows that the definition of BUILT_SOURCES  is

BUILT_SOURCES = ltdl/$(ARGZ_H)

so libtool is to blame for BUILT_SOURCES being non-empty. BUILT_SOURCES is a convenience crutch. If BUILT_SOURCES was empty then it seems that the annoying default recursion could be eliminated. The only remaining benefit I see to the recursion is to introduce AM_MAKEFLAGS to the make arguments (empty by default).

If both SUBDIRS and BUILT_SOURCES are empty, it seems that Automake should produce a Makefile which is non-recursive for a simple 'make'. Other targets likely still require some recursion.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn