Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:11:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

So now I had this great idea. Wouldn't it be great if I could tell
'make distcheck' use './configure --enable-gcc-werror'!

Anyone have a clue on how to do this?

While this can certainly be done (as explained in subsequent email), you might want to think twice about it. Many people consider open source development to be a profoundly "personal" experience and "make distcheck" to be a "personal" experience but for packages using an open license, it may be that someone else will want to perform "make distcheck" on your package and a benign warning originating from some system header file or due to a minor typing difference will prevent it from succeeding.

I think that "make distcheck" should be for testing the distribution integrity. Packages which use free licenses like GPL should be lenient about minor things in order to avoid arbitrarily limiting the free exercise of the license.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn