stamp-h.in

From: John Calcote
Subject: stamp-h.in
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:55:40 -0600

Can someone please tell me what is the high-level purpose of the
stamp-h.in file (and those files generated from it)?  I understand
it's a timestamp file - what I want to know is what it's used for by
automake. And, for that matter, is it even used anymore in current
versions of automake?

I've googled for this information, but all I find are references to
people's stamp-h files being checked in, and threads on this list
skirting the issue of what it's actually for (no doubt because the
posters already understood it well).

I find nothing in the manual that suggests it even exists, much less
what it's for. This maybe because it's no longer needed, and has thus
be removed from the manual...

Thanks,
John