pattern rules

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: pattern rules
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:49:35 +0100

Hello,

pattern rules are forbidden by automake, but I have the following problem.

My source files have the form *.someext.nw and I have two rules to generate two files from that. (Its a literate noweb file and one generates a code file and a .tex file from it.)

I'd like to have the rules

%.nw.tex: %.nw
        noweave $< > $@

%.someext: %.someext.nw
        notangle $< > $@

I cannot think of anything reasonable to transform that into suffix rules. Do you have some hints.

Ralf

PS:
Interestingly, I have

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile:Makefile.in:literate.mk])

in my configure.ac and Automake doesn't complain if I put pattern rules inside literate.mk. Is this a bug or a feature?