parallel make help

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: parallel make help
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:28:56 -0400

Hi,

I'm wondering what the best approach is for using autotools, while at
the same time making the build massively parallel.

I currently have my project setup so that each subdirectory has a
Makefile.am. I've noticed that when I do 'make -j4' that it does 1
directory at a time, then links a little library or makes a program.

If I moved everything to a single Makefile.am at the top level, would
that improve the speed of things so that it could continue to build
in parallel?

If it is in fact faster, like I'm imagining it might be, is there any
way to make the "Makefile.am in each subdir" approach be just as fast?

I eventually want to spread my build out over N machines using autotools
and dist-gcc.

In case I'm ignorant of other ways to speed up the build with autotools,
perhaps someone could fill me in on there experiences.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi