Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:58:28 -0500

John Calcote wrote:
> Hmmm. I'd have to disagree here. I carefully consider every warning I
> see, and evaluate whether or not it represents a real problem.

Yes.  This strikes me as perfectly sane behavior.

Insisting on warning-free builds is not sane behavior, especially given
just how many compilers there are out there and just how many warnings
can be reached.

Cross-development on a few different compilers, sure, that's reasonable.
 Paying careful attention to warnings, sure, also reasonable.

Insistence on perfection is not reasonable.  Not given the staggering
diversity of platforms, not given the staggering diversity of compilers,
the expense of getting access to these environments, etc.

Consider Bob's original statement, the one I was disagreeing with:

> Always build with full warnings enabled.  Always clean up
> warnings as they are introduced.  Always keep a warning free
> build.

I agree with the first.  I disagree with the second--some warnings are
erroneous--and I think the third is not practical, given the number of
different compilers and OSes in use.