Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:36:21 +0200

* NightStrike wrote on Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 04:12:24AM CEST:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >  I can't understand why people do edit-compile-test cycles without having
> >  compiler output be post-processed by their editor.  It works with all
> >  decent unix editors, and it's even more comfortable than not having to
> >  go through the verbose output with your eyes.
>
> Can you explain how to do that?  ie, the post-processing in an editor thing.

In vim, the feature is called QuickFix (see ':help quickfix'), and
typically all you do is call :make instead of going to the shell for
building.  Vim needs a bit of help in order to detect unusual compiler
output (for example, from tex, some Fortran compilers, the Intel
compilers, ruby, valgrind), see the :compiler command (dunno if they've
automatized that by now to use file mode detection).  The list of
supported "compilers" has grown recently, so even if parsing the output
of your command doesn't work perfectly, you may want to check before
writing a new 'errorformat'.

For Emacs, all I know was that M-x compile did all that I ever needed.
But I'm sure it can be extended for unusual "compiler" output as well.

I can't speak for others, but have heard that the popular ones have this
feature as well.

Hope that helps.