Re: extending automake

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: extending automake
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:26:15 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:23:59PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
> > I would like to automake this by writing a wrapper like,
> >   AM_GEN(foo.xml)
>
> I'm not sure that configure-time is where you want to deal with this.

Wow, your answer is great, and shows how little I actually know about
make. However, it proves to me even slightly more that I want to
generate these rules somehow (because the generated rules are reasonably
verbose). Why are you not sure this is a good idea?

> > Is this possible? If so, is there some documentation on how to do it?
> > I looked through the manual and didn't see it, or just missed it.
>
> Remember that you can write arbitrary Makefile syntax in Makefile.am and
> it is simply copied through to the output file, so in that sense you
> don't have to use any special syntax to extend automake, just pretend
> it's not there.

Yes, I do know that, and that's how I got this far. Basically, I write
these rules in several Makefile.am's, since I have multiple directory
setup. I would love to not duplicate the make code, and hide it all
behind a single function call that can be expanded.

Is this possible?

Thanks again!
Bob Rossi