Re: '#####' comment handling in aclocal

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: '#####' comment handling in aclocal
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:04:56 +0200

Hi Ralf,

 > http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/General-Operation.html

Thank you for helping me out with that link. I changed the distribution
format of the Autoconf Macro Archive to avoid '#####' style comments.

 > IIRC the rationale is that one may want to have comments that should not
 > appear in the generated files, such as the example in the manual.

That is a reasonable goal, but I think it's somewhat counter-intuitive that
aclocal -- which is a tool that deals exclusively with Autoconf macros --
behaves completely differently than Autoconf does in that regard. In
Autoconf, 'dnl'-style comments will be stripped and '#'-style comments will
be preserved -- aclocal preserves both 'dnl' and '#', but strips '##'. It's
perfectly alright, of course, it's just not what an Autoconf user would
expect.

Anyway, it's a minor thing, really. Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Best regards,
Peter