Re: Dynamic AC_OUPUT

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Dynamic AC_OUPUT
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:39:22 +0200

Hello Gary,

* Gary Kramlich wrote on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:08:38AM CEST:
> This python script also determines what directories should have
> makefiles created and so on.  I've gotten far enough to trick configure
> into outputting all of the make files.  (This is done by appending the
> directories to ac_config_files before AC_OUTPUT).

Bad.  ac_config_files is not defined in the Autoconf manual.  Please use
AC_CONFIG_FILES([file ...]).

> I was working on this in an already configured tree, and thought I had
> it with the ac_config_files hack.  However, turns out automake when
> being run from my autogen doesn't like this.  I realize it's just
> reading in the contents of AC_OUTPUT, and tried to work around this by
> specifying the directories to the initial call of automake.  However, it
> drops out every time refusing to create depmod.

FYI, automake heavily uses something called "autoconf traces" which is
pretty much asking m4 "show me the args whenever the macros
AC_CONFIG_FILES, AC_INIT, ... are called".

> If examples are needed, please let me know so I can provide them.

Yes, an example would be good.