Re: Installing compressed info files

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: Installing compressed info files
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 21:41:36 +0200

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> By default, the info_TEXINFOS primary causes info files to be created
>  and installed uncompressed.
>
>  How can I change it so that compressed versions are installed instead?

Same for man pages.  Back when I kept a private set of build scripts
for half a zillion packages, I had an m4 macro that expanded to a
shell command that would compress these resources, after 'make
install' had finished.  It was a bit fragile with TEXINFOS though,
since the info files didn't all have the same filename extension.  (I
recall having some fun with info itself, as it would install it's
documentation named info.info.  My naive filename glob broke on that.)

It would have been nice if automake had been able to generate rules
that would install the compressed documentation.