Re: MKDIR_P vs. mkdir_p and automake versions

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: MKDIR_P vs. mkdir_p and automake versions
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:37:33 +0200

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 11:22 -0400, David Bruce wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I understand correctly, "MKDIR_P" is recommended but requires
> automake-1.10
> or higher.  Is this right?
Correct.

C.f. info Automake

     If you are using Automake, there is normally no reason to call this
     macro, because `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' already does so.  However, make
     sure that the custom rules in your `Makefile's use `$(MKDIR_P)'
     and not `$(mkdir_p)'.  Even if both variables still work, the
     latter should be considered obsolete.

>   I recently had a new developer on our free
> project tell me he needed to replace "MKDIR_P" with "mkdir_p" in the
> autotools-generated makefiles to get the project to build, and I'm wondering
> if the problem was that he didn't have the current automake.

> Also, if he can't/won't upgrade to 1.10,
There is always the possibility to install a private copy in parallel to
the system-provided version.

The hard way to force your coworkers to do so and to prevent them from
running into such errors by mistake, is to force a minimum version of
automake by using, e.g. AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.10])

>  is there an acceptable workaround?
In general, you will have to define the set of tools your project is
using for your project and to stick with the "smallest common standards"
implemented by these versions.