Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:29:47 +0200

Bob Proulx writes:

 >> [Unpack] any other build into a directory called, say "/tmp/test
 >> automake", and run it. In my particular case, the makefiles failed
 >> to call the local copy of install-sh because of the blank.
 >
 > This is a documented limitation.  See the following reference.
 >

 > http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/limitations-on-file-names.html#limitations-on-file-names

I am sorry, but that page doesn't seem to mention this problem at all.

 > Using whitespace in filenames has long been an issue for Unix tools
 > in general because whitespace is used as an input field separator.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Unix tools have no trouble
whatsoever with blanks in file names -- it's humans who have trouble
using them because we tend to forget the necessary quoting.

 > This leads to 'make' not being designed to handle filenames with
 > whitespace and of course automake tries to produce portable make
 > configurations.

I don't know what limitation you refer to. Can you please explain how
make's design causes these problems?

Best regards,
Peter