Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 14:05:10 +0200

Hi Peter,

* Peter Simons wrote on Sat, May 17, 2008 at 06:07:39PM CEST:
> I just ran across an interesting problem with automake 1.10. Just unpack
> any other build into a directory called, say "/tmp/test automake", and
> run it. In my particular case, the makefiles failed to call the local
> copy of install-sh because of the blank. I checked my configure.ac
> script and Makefile.am, but it does seem like there is anything I, as a
> user, could do about that -- this really seems to be a problem in the
> generated code. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

We fixed a lot of whitespace-in-pwd related issues in git Automake (and
recent Autoconf), but for one particular (and unfortunately quite
common) issue, I don't know of a good fix that doesn't break backward
compatibility for some other uses.  Offhand I'm not sure whether the
issue you're hitting matches this, so can you please state which
Autoconf version you're using (and if not 2.62, then retry with that),
if you have lots of time on your hands can you try using git Autoconf,
and otherwise please show how you invoke configure and how it fails?

I might not get to you again for some days.

Thanks,