Re: Installing compressed info files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Installing compressed info files
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:29:19 +0200

Hello,

somewhat older thread:

* Bernd Jendrissek wrote on Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:41:36PM CEST:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> > By default, the info_TEXINFOS primary causes info files to be created
> >  and installed uncompressed.
> >
> >  How can I change it so that compressed versions are installed instead?
>
> Same for man pages.  Back when I kept a private set of build scripts
> for half a zillion packages, I had an m4 macro that expanded to a
> shell command that would compress these resources, after 'make
> install' had finished.  It was a bit fragile with TEXINFOS though,
> since the info files didn't all have the same filename extension.  (I
> recall having some fun with info itself, as it would install it's
> documentation named info.info.  My naive filename glob broke on that.)

Care to post your m4 macro nonetheless?

Did you think about using install-hook to compress files after
installation?

> It would have been nice if automake had been able to generate rules
> that would install the compressed documentation.

Wait; I'm not sure I completely understand what you two are after.  Do
you care about compression only for installed files or even for the
uninstalled ones?  Or are you aiming at something like 'configure
--enable-compressed-mans' or 'make install-doc-compressed' or similar?

Not all system's man programs cope with compressed manpages.  I know
some (most? all?) GNU/Linux distributions install compressed manpages,
I assume it's rpm/deb/... features that compress them, right?

Thanks,