Re: Building things a little differently?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Building things a little differently?
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:11:10 +0200

Hello Bobby,

* Bobby Dill wrote on Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:55:11AM CEST:
> When I build a library there is a hidden directory called .libs generated.

Yes.  That is done by libtool, because it may produce several files with
the same name, and uses this private subdirectory as a means to avoid
file name collisions.

> Is
> there a way to tell automake to put certain file in certain directories as
> its building. For example, to put moc processed files in a directory
> called .moc.

Automake has no builtin rules for moc files.  So you need to take this
up with whoever provides those rules.  FWIW, in one package this is what
we use:

SUFFIXES = .moc .h
.h.moc:
        $(MOC) -i $< -o $@

(with $(MOC) being set by the BNV_HAVE_QT macro from the Autoconf Macro
Archive).

I should note that I find your requirement a bit unusual, and it is not
easily formulated in portable make (as opposed to GNU make) rules.  If
you aim to put generated files away from sources files, maybe it is
sufficient for you to merely use a VPATH build (separate build tree)?