Re: Makefile.in's in build tree

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Makefile.in's in build tree
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:15:30 +0200

Hello,

* Kamaljit Singh wrote on Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:17:12AM CEST:
>   I maintain my build tree separate to src tree which has all the
>   Makefile.am's.  Is it possible that all generated files (including
>   the Makefile.in's and the various cache) be in the build tree ?

No, sorry.  The Makefile.in files and configure have to live in the
source tree, as do installed files such as install-sh, config.guess,
config.sub.  You can turn off usage of autom4te.cache (see the Autoconf
manual), but it will make autotools slower.

I suppose source tree clutter could be one motivation to go for
nonrecursive Makefile setups.