Re: correct windres use

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: correct windres use
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:47:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Brian Dessent wrote:

module_la_LIBADD = evas_wince_gapi.o

However, if you try that with a libtool library you run into (B), with
something like:

libtool: link: cannot build libtool library `module.la' from non-libtool
objects on this host: evas_wince_gapi.o

This is where it gets ugly.  You need to sneak the object in past
libtool's eyes with something like:

module_la_LDFLAGS = -Xlinker evas_wince_gapi.o

But now there's a new problem, in that automake will no longer see this
object as being a dependency of module.la, so you've got to explicitly
mention it otherwise you're back to the issue in (A) of it never being
built:

module_la_DEPENDENCIES = evas_wince_gapi.o

With those two lines I think you'll find success, but this is far from a
clean solution.  Perhaps someone that is more familiar with libtool can
comment on the issue.  From a libtool standpoint, resource objects
aren't really the same as code objects as they have no PIC-ness, and
don't even have any symbols that are referenced from other objects.
They are just blobs of specially formatted data that get copied into the
resource section of the final image during linking.

As Ralf said, I added LT_PROG_RC in my configure.ac; it sets RC to the correct windres (arm-wince-cegcc-windres as i'm cross-compiling).

With the 2 commands above and the rule, it seems to work. libtool link command is:

arm-wince-cegcc-g++ -shared (some .o, .dll.a)  -Wl,evas_wince_gapi.o -o
.libs/module.dll -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base -Xlinker --out-implib -Xlinker
.libs/module.dll.a

1) is it normal to have -Wl,evas_wince_gapi.o ?
2) there are 2 -Xlinker. is it useful to add the one in module_la_LDFLAGS ?

I can't test the result (it's a friend who can, later today)

thank you for both of you

Vincent Torri