Re: Where to do post installation?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Where to do post installation?
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:58:01 +0200

* Steven Woody wrote on Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 09:17:47AM CEST:

> Thank you, understood. But, when I copy samples from automake manual
> and do the following:
>
> install-data-hook:
>     mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)/var/run
>
> and I expect that var/run will be created under my $PREFIX.

You'll want to use something like

install-data-hook:
        mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)$(localstatedir)/run

or some other directory variable listed in
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Installation-Directory-Variables.html>.
DESTDIR is reserved for the user to temporarily divert installation:
  make install DESTDIR=/tmp/dest

and usually empty; but in any case, it always goes right before one of
the other installation directory variables.