Bracketing a "check" target with pre and post actions

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Bracketing a "check" target with pre and post actions
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:49:46 +0200

I need to run my testsuite against a PostgreSQL database that I want
predictably populated with data straight from the source tree, so that
code version 17 gets tested against data version 17.  How can I teach
automake to set up the database before running the testsuite, and to
clean it up afterwards?

Arguments in favour of just leaving the data in the base are expressly
solicited.

I can make a check-local target that sets up the database (essentially
something like psql $(dbname) $(dbuser) -f
$(top_srcdir)/whatever/dump.sql), but how do I tear it down again?
I'd prefer to invoke the test run with "make check", but if this is
impossible I suppose I could make do:

.PHONY: fat-check
fat-check: check
    echo "drop database foo;" |psql postgres $(dbsuperuser)

check-local:
    echo "create database foo;" |psql postgres $(dbsuperuser)
    psql $(dbname) $(dbuser) -f $(top_srcdir)/whatever/dump.sql

Comments?