Re: Solved: Need Code to Run Before Targets Are Processed?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Solved: Need Code to Run Before Targets Are Processed?
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:00:11 +0400

Sorry for delay.

On 8/4/08, Bobby Dill <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Just wanted to let everyone know I figured out what Ineiev solution was.

Just wanted to explain in more detail for those who did not.
Makefile.am.m4 is a template written in m4 without
Autoconf redefinitions and macros.
You put in it some macro definitions ( define(MYPROJECT_FORM...),
some instantiations of these macros (MYPROJECT_FORM(`mainform'))
and all that you write in usual Makefile.am -- this stuff will hopefully go to
the generated Makefile.am verbatim. In order to honour Makefile.am
dependency on Makefile.am.m4, you also place in Makefile.am.m4 this rule:

>> Makefile.am: Makefile.am.m4
>>         m4 $(srcdir)/Makefile.am.m4 > $(srcdir)/Makefile.am

Autoreconf will not generate/regenerate Makefile.am by itself.
To my mind, this is the greatest disadvantage of this solution.
To generate it first time (or when something has broken) issue
m4 Makefile.am.m4 > Makefile.am
from the sources directory. After that Makefile.am will regenerate when you
build the project.

>  One of these days I will get around to writing an extension for
>  automake to handle qt. Are there any documents that give an overview into how
>  automake works?

info automake, I think.

Regards,
Ineiev
--
Navigare necesse est. Vivere non est necesse.