Re: compatibility problem AC_SUBST

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: compatibility problem AC_SUBST
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:31:13 +0200

* Fritz Code wrote on Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 09:57:28PM CEST:

> configure.in:74: configure substitutions are not allowed in _SOURCES
> variables

Yes, Automake 1.9 is unfortunately incompatible to 1.4 in some ways.
(If all else fails, you could try to get old versions from the gnu.org
ftp server, Autoconf 2.13 and Automake 1.4p6 should fit I guess; but
I won't be able to help much further.)

> AC_SUBST(WIDGET)
> AC_SUBST(DEBUGGING)
> AC_SUBST(VIDBASE)
> AC_SUBST(DRIVER)
> AC_SUBST(VIDWRAP)
> AC_SUBST(INPUT)
> AC_SUBST(FORMATS)
> AC_SUBST(FONT)
> AC_SUBST(APPMGR)
> AC_SUBST(OS)
> AC_SUBST(VIDSUBDIRS)
> AC_SUBST(CURSES)
>
> Well after doing some reserach I found out that AC_SUBST is used to declare
> a variable in all files of the project.

It is used to transport variables from configure to generated files like
Makefiles.

> If I comment some of the statements above I can run autogen, configure. But
> make cancels with many linker errors.

> Well is there any alternative to AC_SUBST ?

You could try to hard-code the settings of the above variables in the
Makefile.  Or convert Makefile.am to use Automake conditionals:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Conditionals.html#Conditionals>

Hope that helps.