Re: Problems with conditional sources

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Problems with conditional sources
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:31:43 -0400

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 23:21 +0200, David Sveningsson wrote:
> Thanks, this solved my problems. It doesn't seem work if I use tabs
> for  indentation, but spaces works fine. Is this expected behavior?
> I've used  tabs in many other places and it seem to work. I cannot
> find any section  in the manual covering this.

It is expected behavior.  You should never, ever use TABs in makefiles
(which is what Makefile.am files are) unless you are actually trying to
write a recipe (command line) for a target.

Make tries to be smart (which, unfortunately, can cause more problems
than it solves IMO, but equally unfortunately there are a LOT of
makefiles out there that expect make to be smart in this way so we
cannot change it) and so it won't ALWAYS fail if you start a variable
definition with a TAB.

But, it's always wrong.  TABs are special to make.