Re: upgrading from Automake 1.4

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: upgrading from Automake 1.4
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:42:21 +0200

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 03:56:41PM CEST:

> > Since your code could be exhibiting a different hot spot, and since your
> > code provides a unique chance to compare 1.4 and 1.10 performance rather
> > easily, would you be so kind and make available the 1.4- and the
> > 1.10-using versions of your package for testing automake performance?
> > I can't promise when I get to it, but it seems worth a look.
>
> hmm, depends on what you need. I can get you the Makefile.am
> files(there are a lot of them) but not the whole source tree.

Hmm, yes, the Makefile.am files will do, plus the configure.{in,ac}
file(s), and any *.m4 macro files needed.  If the tarballs are large,
please consider bzip2'ing them or putting up a link somewhere, thanks.

> FYI, 1.8 also runs slow, about the same as 1.10
> Older(1.5 and 1.6) automake SEGV

Well, there really is no support from this side for older releases.
If someone has simple, obvious fixes to them we can put them in the
git tree, but there will be no more releases for branches before 1.10.