Re: per-directory options

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: per-directory options
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:48:49 +0200

* NightStrike wrote on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 08:49:20AM CEST:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > * NightStrike wrote on Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:01:19PM CEST:
> >> Does automake yet support doing something like this?:
> >>
> >> mylibdir_LIBRARIES=liba.a libb.b
> >> mylibdir_CPPFLAGS=-m32
> >>
> >> mylibdir_liba_a_SOURCES=a.c
> >> mylibdir_libb_a_SOURCES=b.c
> >>
> >> that is, allowing me to avoid the two lines:
> >>
> >> mylibdir_liba_a_CPPFLAGS=-m32
> >> mylibdir_libb_a_CPPFLAGS=-m32
> >
> > No, I'm afraid.
>
> I'm guessing that means it's not in anyone's queue, then, either.. :(

I kind of don't see yet how such a feature would have many users.
Certainly seems like a very special idea to me: for example passing -m32
typically invalidates many configure tests (size of types, functioning
of compiler, etc).  Generally, multilib setups are accomplished by
having multiple build trees with different configure options.  For
example GCC with its config-ml.in and AM_ENABLE_MULTILIB, and lots of
support code.

> >> I know I ask about it a lot, and I remember seeing posts about it
> >> awhile ago that looked promising regarding getting that feature.
> >
> > Hmm.  Were there patches?  I don't remember any.
>
> I guess not.  What language is automake written in?

Perl, plus an interesting invention of .am proto language.