Re: Kdevelop + automake problems

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Kdevelop + automake problems
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:54:50 +0200

* Bryan Bennetts wrote on Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 05:01:21PM CEST:

> > > If I do include the aclocal.m4, the configure *still* kicks off automake
> > > because of a subdirs file that is created by configure being newer than
> > > the configure.in, which the Makefile.in is dependant on.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by a subdirs file?
>
> Hmm, seems it *might* be a KDE-ism.  From the Makefile.am :
>
> <snip>
> $(top_srcdir)/configure.in: configure.in.in $(top_srcdir)/subdirs
>       cd $(top_srcdir) && $(MAKE) -f admin/Makefile.common configure.in ;
>
> $(top_srcdir)/subdirs:
>       cd $(top_srcdir) && $(MAKE) -f admin/Makefile.common subdirs
>
> $(top_srcdir)/acinclude.m4: $(top_srcdir)/admin/acinclude.m4.in
> $(top_srcdir)/admin/libtool.m4.in
>       @cd $(top_srcdir) && cat admin/acinclude.m4.in admin/libtool.m4.in >
> acinclude.m4
> </snip>

If that subdirs file really is updated by configure, then it's time to
file a bug report against whoever wrote those lines.  Input files to
configure should not be modified by configure.  Further, as already
stated, all files necessary to rebuild configure (in this case at least:
the subdirs file, configure.in.in, admin/Makefile.common (why does
configure.in not depend on it BTW?), admin/*.m4 (same question)).

> Is a fairly impenetrable make target which uses cvs.sh to create a
> file 'subdirs' which lists the (you gonna love this) sub-directories in the
> project - dunno why.

Probably to avoid having to write
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([subdir/Makefile])

for each subdir.

> I've attached the tarball of the project so you can peruse at you leisure -
> it'll be quicker than me quoting bits and pieces randomly.

That attachment got lost on the way, so if there are further important
bits, it may help to put the package online somewhere and post a link
(use a pastebin if you don't have web space).