Compiling an object file from one of many source files

From: uglyoldbob
Subject: Compiling an object file from one of many source files
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 05:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

I am porting newlib to another system.
Here is the makefile.am I am using (I already know it doesn't work the way I
want it to)
I have files named syscalls(architecture_name).c and need only one of them
compiled into syscalls.o (actually lib_a-syscalls.o)
If I remove syscalls.c from the EXTRA_ sources list, then I can specify how
the .o file works, but I am unsure of how to actually specify the command to
get the file compiled properly.

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = cygnus

INCLUDES = $(NEWLIB_CFLAGS) $(CROSS_CFLAGS) $(TARGET_CFLAGS)

AM_CCASFLAGS = $(INCLUDES)

noinst_LIBRARIES = lib.a

if MAY_SUPPLY_SYSCALLS
extra_objs = $(lpfx)syscalls.o
else
extra_objs =
endif

lib_a_SOURCES =
lib_a_LIBADD = $(extra_objs)
EXTRA_lib_a_SOURCES = crt0.S syscalls.c
lib_a_DEPENDENCIES = $(extra_objs)
lib_a_CCASFLAGS = $(AM_CCASFLAGS)
lib_a_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS)

if MAY_SUPPLY_SYSCALLS
all: crt0.o
endif

if X86
syscalls.c: syscallsx86.c
        #something?
endif

if ARM
syscalls.c: syscallsarm.c
        #or something else?
endif

ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I ../../..
CONFIG_STATUS_DEPENDENCIES = $(newlib_basedir)/configure.host