Compilation order

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Compilation order
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:26:56 +0200

Hello,

isn't it assured that the build of the objects listed on a Makefile.am is made
in the order of the sources of that file? I have a Fortran convenience
library to build, so there isn't any dependency mechanism that could
interfere in the compilation order.

My problem is that this library has its source files split into several
subdirectories. My first attempt was to list the source files in order in the
SOURCES variable and to attach a VPATH declaration at the end of the file
containig the rest of the subdirectories. This compiled well, but
the "distcheck" target failed because the Makefile couldn't find the sources
that weren't on the main source directory.

I then removed the VPATH statement and began to write the full path of every
source file:

libfoo_a_SOURCES = a.f90 $(srcdir)/A/b.f90 $(srcdir)/B/c.f90 ...

However now the compilation fails because make ignores the listing order, even
it is correct on the Makefile.

I could also write a Makefile.am for every subdirectory, but I don't know if
this would be an overkill.

Thank you,

Alberto