Re: [automake] Dependency question with _LDADD

From: Michel Briand
Subject: Re: [automake] Dependency question with _LDADD
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:53:50 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> - Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:19:32
+0200

>* Michel Briand wrote on Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:34:20AM CEST:
>> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> - Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:34:09 +0200
>> >
>> >Try 'mkdir m4' in the top source directory.
>
>> That's a temporary directory or a source directory ?
>
>It is a source directory, to contain additional macro files that the
>package may need.
>
>> You suggested to
>> use that sub-dir for .m4 files... But I'll not put any source file in
>> it. The autogen.sh or autotools sytem should create it, isn't it ?
>
>Well, if you list '-I m4' in ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS then autoreconf will pass
>those flags as arguments to aclocal.  If aclocal gets -I flags with
>directory arguments that do not exist, it fails.  I think the rationale
>for the failure is to detect typos.  Obviously there is some trade-off
>in this hard failure: the failure disallows some legitimate uses with
>lazy existence of a directory.
>
>If the directory does not exist, and you don't and won't need it, then
>you can choose not to pass that '-I m4' argument.  Chances for a new
>project are that it will eventually need files in there, though.
>
>BTW, I'm not saying that the trade-off above is the best thing in the
>world.  But I'm not yet convinced that it does more harm than good.

Since I do not need custom m4 file, I'll put the macro in comments.
And explain it's usage.

BTW I've another topic to re-activate : the embedded versioning.

Since the version is not related to the build system nor the
configuration I decided to put it aside. Keep it in the tutorial but do
not merge it with autotools process.

Thank you,
Michel