Re: [PPL-devel] Generating Autotools files without autoreconf

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [PPL-devel] Generating Autotools files without autoreconf
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:02:14 +0200

Hello Roberto, Andreas, all,

* Roberto Bagnara wrote on Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 06:35:10PM CEST:
> Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> Roberto Bagnara <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> In other words, we would need something that acts like autoreconf except
>>> for the fact that it would not attempt to build configure from configure.ac.
>>
>> $ AUTOCONF=true autoreconf ...

> it would have been nice and simple, but it does not work.
[...]
> $ AUTOCONF=true autoreconf
> configure.ac:29: error: Autoconf version 2.60 or higher is required
> configure.ac:29: the top level
> autom4te: /usr/local/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
> aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 63
> autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 63

Yes that is because the other tools run autom4te from Autoconf under the
hood.

Can you install a recent-enough Autoconf under another prefix, or maybe
with --program-suffix=-2.62, and set the variables accordingly, e.g.,
  AUTOCONF=autoconf-2.62 AUTOM4TE=autom4te-2.62 \
  AUTOHEADER=autoheader-2.62 autoreconf

?  Another possibility is to put all generated files under version
control (until GCC has been updated to newer autotools as well).