Re: Questions on exporting functions from a shared library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Questions on exporting functions from a shared library
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:42:18 +0200

* Jef Driesen wrote on Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:24:46AM CEST:

> I am shipping the symbols file. In my Makefile.am, I have
>
> EXTRA_DIST = mylib.symbol
>
> to make sure the file is included in the tarball.
>
> But with this approach, msvc users will need to (manually) generate a
> DEF file from it. And that is something I would like to avoid.

Hmm.  I suppose shipping the DEF file for them (for one setup?) won't
work?

>>> Note: How do can I detect whether the visibility attribute is supported?
>>
>> For example with the gnulib module 'visibility'.
>
> How do I use this visibility.m4 file? Do I need to copy its contents
> into my configure.ac file?

No, you ship it additionally; see the AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR description here:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Input.html#Input>

Typically, you just import the whole gnulib module:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/Invoking-gnulib_002dtool.html>

> BTW, what is the reason that when I use mylib_la_CFLAGS = -DMYLIB_BUILD,
> in Makefile.am, all my object files are named "mylib_la-myfile.o"
> instead of the regular "myfile.o"?

Addressed here:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/renamed-objects.html>