Re: pkg-config, anyone?

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: Re: pkg-config, anyone?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:35:27 +0200

Matěj Týč wrote:

> Hello friends,
> I would like to inquire whether there is someone here that generates .pc
> files in his autotools-powered project (presumably a project containing
> libraries).
> I am particulary searching for a manner how to specify the library name
> in a smart way since libtool can be very creative when decorating the
> library name (if you use the -version-number etc. options).
> Imagine that you would like a library to have different name on each
> platform and you would also like to generate and install a .pc file for
> every one of those platforms. Obviously it would be very helpful if it
> was possible using the same .pc.in template.

And where is the problem? E.g.

Name: @PACKAGE@

and then process the .pc.in by configure (AC_CONFIG_FILES). If you don't want to
use $PACKAGE, well then use some self-defined variable. I guess your Makefiles
also
gets the library name from somewhere (e.g. configure).

However, IMO it is a stupid idea to use different names for the same library on
different platforms. It makes it hard to search for this library by a simple
portable
configure script.

BTW: Your question is not related to pkg-config. Maybe you want to consult the
autotools lists.

Regards, Daniel
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/address@hidden