Re: fast install released already?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: fast install released already?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:14:09 +0200

Hello Markus,

* Duft Markus wrote on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:51:26AM CEST:

> I just wanted to ask wether the fast install bits are available already
> in a released automake version?

No, not yet.  A few questions (unrelated to fast-install) have turned
out to be more work than expected, so the alpha release I was aiming for
will be another couple of weekends at least.

> Is there a single big patch for a current version? I'd really like to
> start using this feature, since installing out software takes hours :)

You can grab the git version of Automake for now.  It is available here:
<https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=automake>
(you can browse the git history, there are "snapshot" links that give
you a tarball to use, if you are not comfortable checking out with git).

> we have approximately 10.000 files to install (headers (approx. 9000),
> libs (approx. 700), scripts (a few :))).

Wow.  It would be interesting to see how much faster things get with the
chances.  Are the libraries all created with libtool?  Because then I
guess they will end up being the remaining bottleneck (that would be
interesting to see, too).

> If interested, I could also do some performance measurements with and
> without this...

Yes, that would be cool.

> we currently use automake 1.9.6, and it would be best if
> we don't have to touch any of our files (autoconf 2.59, libtool 1.5.24,
> m4 1.4.4), is this possible?

That's a bit tough.  What prevents you from updating to
  Autoconf 2.63
  Automake 1.10.1
  Libtool 2.2.6
  M4 1.4.12

which are the current versions?

Note that all incompatibilities between git Automake and older releases
should be listed in the NEWS file.

Hope that helps.