Re: Compilation order

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Compilation order
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:18:15 -0400

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 22:06 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> BTW, while you're here, is there chance for a new GNU make release
> soonish with the bug fixed that prevented GCC from using dependency
> tracking?  (IIRC it dealt with order-only deps.)

Hi Ralf; sorry for the delay.

Is this bug already fixed, and just awaiting a release?  Or is it still
open?  Do you have a bug#?

I've just this weekend succeeded in getting the changes I've made to try
to control memory usage, back to a point where the entire GNU make test
suite passes.  I still have some cleanup left to do, but I'd like to
start running comparative test builds on various software packages to
see what differences in performance and heap usage I've created.

I'm especially interested in packages with very large numbers of targets
and/or variables; so any large-ish package implementing non-recursive
make for example would be useful for testing.

Any pointers to such packages would be appreciated.  I wanted to do
glibc which is where the memory usage situation was first reported, but
they don't seem to be creating buildable tarballs anymore and my trivial
attempt to run "cvs co", "./configure", and "make" failed miserably :-/.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us