DISTCLEANFILES with SUBDIR directories

From: Brendon Costa
Subject: DISTCLEANFILES with SUBDIR directories
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:54:50 +1100

Hi all,

I have a project using automake and I want to ensure that the distclean
target removes a directory that is listed conditionally in the SUBDIRS
variable. Is this possible to do this without the distclean target being
performed recursively inside the sub directory first?

My Makefile.am has:
SUBDIRS = $(subdirs)

distclean-local:
    rm -rf gcc-4.0.4

Where $(subdirs) in this case is conditionally set to: gcc-4.0.4

When I do the make distclean, it first performs the distclean within the
gcc-4.0.4 subdirectory, then it performs my local clean rule and removes
the directory completely. This achieves what i want, but the initial
recursive call of make distclean within the gcc-4.0.4 subdirectory is
not necessary. Is there any way i can stop it from doing this?

Thanks,
Brendon.