Re: lzip support

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: lzip support
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:30:27 +0100

> On Friday 2008-11-28 21:37, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> >
> > It makes sense to me that periodically Automake maintainers make an
> > evaluation (and with the blessing of the FSF) intentionally
> > deprecate generation of certain archive types as new archive types
> > are added. The intention would be to diminish the number of archive
> > types, which needlessly clog disk space and consume developer time.

I don't understand.  The default is to create gzip'ed archives only.
That hasn't changed in more than a decade.  And gzip isn't going to go
away as the default format, if only because that is by far the most
portable one.  Package authors can tweak to their liking which sets of
archives they wish to generate, and that includes not generating gzip.