Re: GNU Make Extensions

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: GNU Make Extensions
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:56:49 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 04:46:28PM CET:
> Shouldn't the onus be on me, as the project maintainer, to accept that
> risk and craft the wildcards properly?  I for one would wager heavily
> that the probability of that being a problem is FAR less than the
> current problems of maintaining the source file list.  Doing it
> manually has already proven so error-prone as to cause significant
> lost time.

I don't understand.  You let some script generate a fragment file that
is include'd by a Makefile.am file and lists all files to be distributed
or installed.  The script gets run by a make rule when appropriate.
Problem solved, no?

The only downside I see is that you need to run automake during
development, which is something many projects do anyway.