RE: GNU Make Extensions

From: Duft Markus
Subject: RE: GNU Make Extensions
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:52:23 +0100

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:48 AM, NightStrike <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
> > <address@hidden> wrote:

> and
> it
> >>
> >> Maintainer mode is optional.  Regardless, when using wildcards the
> >> maintainer (i.e. you) will become frustrated with the additional
> delay added
> >> to 'make'.  It would be similar (or identical) to autotools
> regenerating the
> >> project every type you execute 'make'.
> >
> > Not if automake flattens it when running automake.  The idea was
that
> > automake would translate the wildcard into the full file list.
> >

> Oh, nevermind.. You're saying that make will invoke automake to check
> to see if Makefile.in needs to be updated..... I understand, I think,
> what you were saying.

Yeah, but how long can it take to resolve the wildcard for a given
directory? If it's a few thousand files, it's done in a second or so...
I don't think that the speed argument is valid in this discussion. Look
at the way people work at the shell... if somebody really wants to have
all .cc files for example, he/she will do "ls *.cc > xx" and copy the
list over to Makefile.am. the ls won't take forever either. If this
would be done _every_ single time I call automake, I wouldn't bother.
_And_: if I really want to squeeze the last bit of performance out of
automake, I can still paste in the whole list, right? So for small
projects this feature would be really helpful, and for others it does
not disturb in any way!

Cheers, Markus