Re: automake EXTRA_DIST and filename spaces...

From: John Ratliff
Subject: Re: automake EXTRA_DIST and filename spaces...
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:09:45 -0500

Alan D. Salewski wrote:
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:28:05PM -0500, John Ratliff spake thus:
How can I add a file to the EXTRA_DIST variable that has spaces?

Hi John,

File names with spaces in them cannot be tracked directly in EXTRA_DIST
because the values in the list become 'make' prerequisites; file names
with spaces cannot be used as 'make' prerequisites (even with GNU make)
because of the Makefile syntax.

As a suboptimal workaround, you could put the files that contain spaces
in their names in a subdirectory (which does not have spaces in its
name), and then supply that subdirectory name to EXTRA_DIST, instead.
That's a good enough compromise for me. Thanks.

--John Ratliff