linking against libraries which a not in the local directory

From: gromeck
Subject: linking against libraries which a not in the local directory
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:05:44 +0100

Hi to all,

I have a problem building with automake in the following
directory layout:

   src/
   src/dirA/  holds lib A and program A
   src/dirB/  holds lib B and program B

Both, program A and B have to linked against lib A and B!
Yes, I know that this is not a good layout but I have
currently no other chance to rearrange it (the real project
is somewhat larger).

In src/dirA/Makefile.am I've set

   progA_LDADD=libA.a ../dirB/libB.a

but the build of libB.a is not triggered automatically.

A workaround is to add the following target to
src/dirA/Makefile.am:

   ../dirB/libB.a:
       make -C ../dirB/ libB.a

But I think, this is a hack.

So,

 1. is there a way to setup the dependencies in a way which
    triggers build of the lib which is not in the local
    directory?

 2. is there a way to trigger building all libs in a source
    tree ("make libs")?

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Schönen Gruss -- gromeck